Sunday, February 28, 2021

Criminal Justice Technology at COA

featured image

“My name is Mark Evans and I’m the program coordinator for the College of The Albemarle’s criminal justice program. The Criminal Justice program offers basic knowledge to anyone that wants to go into the field of law enforcement. It also benefits the law enforcement profession as well, so if you’ve got years under your belt and you’ve been in the profession on the street and you want to go back and get your degree, we do offer advance credits that will allow you to go back. I can evaluate where you’re at and what courses you’ve taken and see if we can award advance credits to get you closer to getting your associate degree. Being able to meet with Captain Evans, he was able to give me advance credits for a lot of the training I’ve already had so I didn’t have to continue to take classes, so that sped up the process of graduating. With that I’m able to get incentives at my sheriff’s office because of the retention program, which gives us more pay for a degree and helps us with advancement. Currently with the College of The Albemarle’s program, we offer over a dozen courses [Criminal Justice Systems, Criminology, Juvenile Justice, Criminal and Constitutional Law, Investigative Principles, Ethics and Community Relations, Issues and Concepts of Government, Counseling, Communication, Computers and Technology] that will give you the basic knowledge and understanding and essentials that you will need to carry with you then you go into the field of criminal justice. I went to COA to try to get back into education after being out of it for many years. After talking with the counselors there, they set me up with an online course. I’ve got a Criminal Justice degree in 2018. The benefit of the program was the fact that it’s online, so with the job I have with the sheriff’s office and I’m also a youth pastor, time is limited for me, so with this I can work at my own pace, whether I take one class, two classes or a full load. I mean obviously in this job everybody wants to be home safely, so I just continue to educate myself and learn every day keeps me on my toes. One of the great aspects of the College of The Albemarle’s Criminal Justice program is the fact that all the instructors are either former or current law enforcement. Along with the assignments, discussion boards and written assignments, the papers you have to complete for the program, you’re getting the real-world experience from current and relevant law enforcement officers in this department. The State Highway Patrol values education and they incorporate that in their promotion. Without this degree, I probably would not have gotten promoted from sergeant to first sergeant. By getting this degree, not only will it give me a raise, it’ll give me additional points for testing purposes and also it gives me the opportunity to then move forward to try to get a bachelor’s. So for current law enforcement officers in our region, the Criminal Justice online program is an excellent source to get your degree because we offer it fully online and I will look at your portfolio and evaluate where you’re at and I will try to give you as maximum credit in advance for your classes and prior training you have, so if you’re looking to finish something that you started months or years ago, contact with me, contact the college and let’s see what we can do for you.”

http://criminaljusticecourses.net/criminal-justice-technology-at-coa/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Work Practice in the Crook Justice System

The criminal justice system, with its intricate policies and treatments and its concentrate on deterrence, penalty, and rehab, can be a t...